Monday, May 12, 2014

First Day of Solids: Mommy Post

Harper started off today full of smiles and in a great mood. Perfect for her first day of solids! I've been super excited for this day for weeks now! But again also a little sad - her having solids finally, means she's getting big. Ugh. A tough reality for me! I'm trying to cherish everyday she is a baby because I know one day when she is 14 and has a serous attitude - I will miss the days of cute chubby cheeks and the inability to talk ;).
So off I went, chopping carrots and sweet potatoes. Steaming away till they were nice and mushy. I'm not a huge vegetable fan but oddly enough, I like the smell of cooked vegetables. Yeah, I don't get it either.
So while researching information on babies first foods, I stumbled across this book several times, 'The Healthy Baby Meal Planner' by Annabel Karmel.
This book is awesome at going through the weaning process and what foods are best for baby's first "tastes". It also has fantastic and seriously tasty looking recipes for toddlers - so I'm super happy I decided to buy this book over others.
And now for the awesome and totally fun part of making baby food - getting to use the Baby Bullet. It's an amazing little thin. Once you get the right amount of liquid - in this case breastmilk or some of the boiled water from steaming the veggies - it works amazingly! The veggies go all creamy and look exactly like jarred baby food, just fresher and and none of the crap! I cut up five medium sized carrots and one medium sized sweet potato and I was able to fill up the entire silicone mold that comes with the baby bullet - to put into the freezer. I was also able to fill one jar each for in the fridge. The fresh food can stay in the fridge for up to 3 days. There's a neat date dial on each of the jars, so you can keep track of exactly when you made the food. Harper got carrots mixed with breastmilk I had in the freezer. Since we hadn't got a highchair yet (getting one today!), I fed her in the vibrating chair. I put a bib on her that you can easily wash/wipe and she was all ready for her first food. I don't have any pictures as Fraser was recording me feed her - but I'm sure I can cut out a picture from the video and share that.
She did pretty well considering it was her first time having anything other than breastmilk. She gagged a few times, but I think that was just because of the different texture. Overall, I think she liked the carrots. She's going to get some more right after I am done with this post, so we'll see if she still gags.
The first picture above is right after I cleaned her up, she seemed pretty happy. Then the second picture was 15 seconds later of her trying to bust out of her chair. HAHA. I couldn't stop laughing, looks like she's trying to have a big poop. She's so damn cute! Tomorrow, sweet potato!!

No comments:

Post a Comment