Monday, June 16, 2014

Ikea furniture, sick baby and a funeral: General Post

Last week was a hectic and sad week and I'm glad we're on to a new one.

It started on the Friday, June 6th with Harper having a fever. Initially I thought, "oh no big deal, shes teething"..nope. What started off as a slight fever turned into a pretty high fever by Saturday. I fought and fought with that damn fever, rotating Tylenol and Advil every 4 hours. Sometimes it would get her fever under control, other times it wouldn't. Sunday morning, after the second miserable night we decided to take Harper to the emerge just to have everything checked out. My fear was that she had an hear infection and I would have felt horrible if we had waited until the following day to bring her to our family doctor.

The great thing with children's emerge, is if you have a small baby, they don't make you wait very long. They had Harper in a room pretty quick, checking her ears, throat and temperature. Sure enough when we first got there, she had a fever and apparently a slight red throat. So the verdict was Harper has a virus and it would just need to run its course. OH but they still needed to check her urine in case she had a bladder infection. Here I'm thinking, oh great she could potentially inherit all of her mothers bladder issues. Then I immediately thought, oh shit how are they checking my little babies urine?! At first they attached a small bag to catch any urine - which meant we had to sit around and HOPE that she pees. After about an hour, no luck! Harper was running off of fumes at this point - ready for a boob and ready for bed. I managed to feed her while we there and actually got her to sleep but of course the nurse comes in right at that moment to check her temperature. After over an hour of waiting and no luck with the little pee bag, the nurse found the doctor and was given the go ahead to give Harper a catheter. Holy crap. My poor baby has to go through having a catheter. Luckily the nurses were in a out pretty quickly and the whole time Fraser and I were holding her little hands and smothering her in kisses. She wasn't happy - obviously - but she was a champ. The test came back negative - thank goodness - and we were on our way home! She lasted all of 3 minutes in the car, before completely passing out! Poor monkey.

To make things worse, on the way home Fraser and I were starving so we decided to grab some breakfast at Timmies. I decided to go with their strawberry banana smoothie which has the option of adding yogurt. Of course I didn't get yogurt because of Harper's milk allergy. Once I got my smoothie, I was looking at it thinking, hmm looks sort of creamy. THAT INSTANT I should have thrown that sucker out. Instead I drank it thinking it was all good. Holy freaking crap. For the next three days Harper screamed her head off with an upset tummy. It was horrible. My poor baby. I should have known there was yogurt in that damn drink and should have thrown it away!! We saw our family doctor on the Monday and got him to refer Harper to see an allergist. Ugh. What a nightmare of a weekend that was!

All while this was going on, we had all of our Ikea furniture delivered and our house looked like a bomb was set off. I was excited to get our furniture finally, but holy stressful when you have a sick baby!

Wednesday came long with some very sad news, my mom called early in the morning to inform me that our cousin Kyle had passed away. I was guttered. I hadn't seen Kyle in a few years - we all were just living our lives which of course brought guilt to me immediately after hearing the horrible news.
I was so upset, obviously because I would never see him again, but mostly thinking about my cousin Sabrina, Kyles sister. Kyle was Sabrina's only sibling and I couldn't help but put my self in her shoes. Just the idea of losing one of my brothers brings tears to my eyes. Also thinking of my aunt and uncle losing their only son made the tears flow and the big kicker is he left two beautiful kids behind. Horrible losing a family member, regardless of how often you saw them. With the terrible news, I started to think of some childhood memories of Kyle. I used to spend weekends with my Aunt Brenda and Uncle Paul to play with Sabrina who is two years older than me. Sabrina and I used to fight a lot - being that we were two young girls, having to spend three or four days together. I remember one incident like it was yesterday. I was over for a few nights and Sabrina had her friend Sarah spending the weekend as well. Sarah had a really bad sunburn on her back so when we were figuring out where we were all going to sleep - Sabrina gave Sarah the sofa. Sabrina took the loveseat and I was left with the armchair and footstool. Kyle came out of his room which was in the basement next to the rec room we were in, and saw that I was making my "bed" in the armchair. He immediately started to get angry at Sabrina for not letting me sleep somewhere else and began rummaging through the storage room. He came out with an air mattress and blew it up for me. He turned to Sabrina and told her not to even try sleeping on the air mattress with me. I remember feeling so special that he did that for me. Little ol' me having a whole air mattress to myself. I was so curious about Kyle. He would always be in his room playing his drums and I desperately wanted to go in his room and watch him play but was too shy to knock on his door. He was such an awesome person, so friendly and sweet. It breaks my heart that I hadn't seen him in a few years and now I won't ever see him again. Ugh. Fucking sucks losing anyone in your family. I don't deal well with death because I haven't had to deal with it that often. I just keep telling myself that he is in a better place.

The day I found out about Kyle, Harper's 6 month photo shoot CD came in the mail. It was like a much needed pick me up (very brief).

They turned out amazing! Here's a few of my favourites:





























Okay, so it's hard for me to pick just a few. Look at that chubby beauty!! I'm so obsessed with her and am amazed that I made that little babe!!

I'm going to have some more interesting and fun posts in the next few days. One on my craft area, Harper's room and the house in general. Also some DIY's I'm wanting to do. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment