Monday, April 27, 2015

Hospital Bag + Countdown

 One of the things on my list of to-do's is to finish packing mine and the babies hospital bag. Starting off with the essentials - all of the little crap you will want or need at some point during your hospital stay. When I was in the hospital with Harper, I didn't completely know what to bring - I either brought things I never used or didn't bring things I actually ended up needing. This time around I think I did a little better.

These are the things I packed (and a few things not shown in the picture that I will add):
- Tucks: An absolute must. I didn't bring these the first time because I had never heard of them. After pushing for three hours with Harper, I had a lot going on down there and the nurses brought these in for me and I was very thankful! You literally tuck them in between the cheeks and voila, instant cooling sensation. 
- Deodorant: Pretty self explanatory.
- New Mama Bottom Spray: This isn't necessary but is nice if you have itchy, irritating stitches. You just spray it on your bottom area and it gives kind of a cooling sensation.
- Light Body Spray: Obviously hospitals are a no-fragrance zone but I'm still bringing a lightly scented body spray in case I need a pick up. I will probably use it when I'm getting ready to leave the hospital. 
- Hair Elastics: You definitely need a few of these if you have longer hair.
- Mama's Nipple Butter: I used this nipple butter for the first few weeks when I had Harper because my nipples kept getting dry from nursing. However, I didn't find this stuff helped for really sore nipples, that is why I am also bringing the next item. 
- Medela Lanolin Cream: This stuff is seriously a life saver! I had super sore nipples for the first three months of nursing Harper - even a badly bruised (purple/black) nipple from Harper biting down on me - this is what saved my poor little nipple. Love this stuff! I still use it currently since Harper is still nursing before bed as nursing while pregnant can make your nipples very very sensitive.
- Preparation H: Again, pretty self explanatory. If you are one of those lucky women that only push for 10 minutes, you might not need this. However, if this delivery is anything like Harper's, I will be prepared with my industrial sized tube of Preparation H. There's nothing to be ashamed of, birthing a baby is not the most glamorous thing ever. And when you're pushing for an extended period of time - what the hell do you expect is going to happy?
- Oral Hygiene Items: These items will be for both Fraser and I. We will just need to add our actual toothbrushes to the bag once I start going into labour.
- Lotions, Creams and Lip Balms: With Harper, I had a reaction to the epidural and became extremely itchy all over my body to the point of my skin drying and flaking off. I think I may bring a larger tub of lotion, like my cocoa butter I use on my belly - just in case. I'm also bringing two different lip balms in case they get chapped.
- Hair Stuff: I'm bringing a hair oil as well as a headband to keep my hair out of my face. The hair oil I will use after I take a shower or I end up with a tangled mess!
- Long Maxi Pads: I'm bringing several of these since the ones at the hospital are like mini-mattresses in between your legs (although very helpful that first 24 hours after giving birth when your flow is very heavy).

I'm sure I am forgetting a few things but I think I have all of the necessities in terms of all of the little things I will want or need.

As for bigger stuff like clothes, I will be bringing the following:

- A Robe
- Slippers
- Socks x2
- Larger, more comfy underwear (possibly even maternity)
- Nursing Bra
- Nursing Pillow
- Small Blanket (for Fraser)
- Pillow (for Fraser)
- Comfy Pajamas 
- Maternity Leggings
- Comfy Top
-  Ipad
- Ipod
- Charger(s)
- Snacks 
- Few items for Fraser (sweatpants, etc.,.)

Again, I might add a few items last minute but I think I have a pretty good list!

I am 35 weeks this week - so the countdown is officially on. It will be interesting if she come's early or late. EEK. All I know is that very shortly, we will have another sweet little girl and I am so darn excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment