Sunday, July 12, 2015

One Month + Sleeping + Breastfeeding


Where has a month gone? I cannot believe that our sweet Ella is already a month old. It feels like just last week we were in the hospital. 

One month update:

Sleeping: Ella, thankfully, has been a pretty good sleeper since we've brought her home. Almost everynight, with the exception of one rough night here and there, she sleeps a good 5-7 hour stretch at the beginning. She usually goes down for the night between 8:30/9:30 and will sleep until 4am - wake nurse/bottle (pumped milk) and sleep another 2-3 hours. She's also really good for going right back to sleep - not stair at me wide awake for a few hours like her big sis did when she was itty bitty. 
Personality: Ella is pretty passive, however lately she has been a lot more fussy. Harper was lactose intolerant the first year and we're thinking Ella may be showing signs as well. She's been super gassy and has a rash on her face off and on all day. Looks like I will be on a strict dairy free diet again for a while..ugh. 
Breastfeeding: Boy where do I start. When Ella was first born, I was so relieved because she seemed to breastfeed like a champ. This last about two weeks when my breasts were really engorged with milk. Then I started noticing my milk supply going down and Ella was having a hard time latching and staying latched. I also noticed her tongue looked odd - rather than having a pointy tip on her tongue, hers had almost a heart shape. I started researching and immediately found information of tongue ties. I didn't need anyone to confirm her tongue tie since it was so obvious. She would cry and you literally see the skin underneath went all the way to the tip - pulling her tongue inwards. I quickly made an appointment with a clinic that uses a laser to correct it for minimal healing.

Up until her appointment I had to pump to keep my milk supply up and to save my poor nipples. We went to her appointment, they confirmed she had the worst tongue tie a baby can have and also a severe lip tie. Both were corrected that day and we were sent on our way. The worst thing about the whole procedure is the excercises you have to do afterwards which consist of rubbing the incision three times a day to keep it from reattaching. Yikes. 

Weight: 8lbs 14oz (three weeks)


This past month has zipped by and it's definitely had it's ups and downs but I wouldn't change it for the world! Love my two little ladies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment